Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Late Worm

"The late worm misses the bird." This was the rebuttal I gave one of my teachers in high school when she told me that 'the early bird catches the worm' upon my tardiness. Last night the saying couldn't have been more true. This year I have been going to the shows of the Austin Wind Symphony. This is a symphony in the city that plays movie and TV scores. Last night was their Star Trek show. Let me just say they are very talented. I was 30 minutes late due to working a little later than I had expected to. As I walked in the lady taking money at the door just waved me on through so I ended up not having to pay. After the show I was supposed to meet friends downtown at The Belmont for a birthday party. When I got there there was a Make-A-Wish foundation fundraiser auction event going on that had 'private party' signs everywhere so I wasn't sure if my friends were actually there. I went in looking for them and in doing so wound up inadvertently sneaking in to the event as it was beginning to wind down. It's a good thing I dressed nicely because while I walked around trying my best to look like I belonged there I ended up scavenging some free food. With all of the rich and attractive teens and 20-something year old people being dressed nicely it was hard for me not to feel like I was in an episode of Gossip Girl. It turned out that my friends showed up a little earlier and decided to leave and go eat at Roy's for the birthday dinner portion of the evening. The night was a fun one and I ended up not having to pay for my show or my food for the night. I wonder if this is what it's like to be a celebrity?

No comments: